I am not a gardener, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I guess Wade and I should be. After all, he grew up on a farm that included a landing strip for crop dusters in his front yard, and I have parents that can grow pretty much anything. Case in point, mom's garden. This is the upper garden, and her personal garden. She grows whatever she wants in it, which means she sows rows of zinnias mixed in with all the veggies and herbs.
This is one of my favorite things in the garden. I no longer mind getting up early, before the sun gets too hot, to pick these. There's nothing like eating blueberries covered in dew. I just wish I could get Wade and Cole to think the same thing.
Doesn't this look like the most wonderful place to play if you are a six-year-old kid? Oh, I could have spent days in that canopy of beans. On a farm note, this is the best way to grow beans: you can weave the runners back in and it's a breeze walking through to pick. Plus it's so cool and shady under there. I just wish it was a breeze to string and snap them too.
Can't you just taste some yummy fig jam! Mom's fig trees are huge and covered in figs. A real accomplishment considering they were brought in on a tractor trailer and transplanted just last year.
This fluffy bunch of green is something mom planted called minuette basil. It tastes just like basil, but each leaf is itty bitty. That means no chopping and bruising those leaves.
Mom admiring her handiwork (if she actually read my blog, she would kill me for posting this picture of her. But, since she's too busy in her garden, I think I'm safe). I don't blame her. She works hard at it, and I'm so glad because we get to reap what she sows!
On to my favorite part of her gardens: flowers. This year was a good year for hydrangeas, and I was lucky enough to take a trip to Carrollton to admire all the blooms. Cole is inspecting his dad's hydrangea. That's right, my mom bought Wade a hydrangea and planted it at her house until we have a permanent home. It's a Vince Dooley hydrangea. Unfortunately, Wade is a UGA football fan. I think this is a nice compromise for two rivals: an Auburn fan that loves flowers and a Georgia fan that could care less about flowers. Works out pretty nicely.
I know it's been hot this summer, but this is one reason to love summer in the south! Now, if only we could get some rain.

No comments:
Post a Comment