Saturday, August 15, 2009

Going Home

You like the new paint colors on our house? If you do, you can buy it because it's for sale. Wade, Cole and I are leaving Homewood to return to my hometown. We are excited about being closer to family. But, we are so sad to leave our neighborhood.

Wade and I always thought we'd move from Birmingham to Carrollton one day, so when the opportunity came up, we should not have been surprised. But we were. We have always enjoyed living in Birmingham, but since Cole was born, we began experiencing what our neighborhood offered and we fell in love. In the last few months, we've taken advantage of living close the zoo, walking to nearby parks and restaurants, standing in the street and getting to know our neighbors. It's been idyllic! I'm sure going to miss this place. Homewood has been beyond wonderful. For as much as I complained about our house, I began to adore it after the spiffy new paint job. I must admit I'm going to miss this little place we call home.

The decision to leave did not come lightly, but it seemed to come quickly. The company Wade worked for was in trouble and filed bankruptcy. During the early period, Wade began talking with a company in my hometown about a possible job. Needless to say, those talks heated up when it looked like Wade's company was going to be split into two entities and one division was going to be bought by an outside company, while the other division (the one he worked in) would just dissolve. In addition to talking with the hometown business, Wade landed an offer from the purchasing company, which he did not entertain for very long. Then, he was blessed enough to receive another offer for a job with a brand new company working with some of his previous coworkers. It's nice to be needed, but it was also an overload of decisions for us. Wade spent a week pondering what move to make, and almost flipped a coin to determine if we should stay or go. Finally, his mind was made up and we took the leap.

We are excited about this new chapter in our lives. But, it is also very hard and sad to say goodbye. Homewood has turned into our home. This is where Wade and I began our married life and brought our son home. As we rode into Carrollton on Sunday bringing a load of stuff to put into storage, we were driving along a country road and I saw what I needed to see...a front yard full of cars all gathered at an old home place for a family reunion. I know there are family reunions in Birmingham, but we don't have any family here to attend those reunions. Moving to Carrollton will be a good thing. We are moving there for all those intangibles of living close to family.

If you notice, I have not even mentioned our circle of friends. I'm not ready to dwell on that part of our move. We have an amazing group of people that we will cherish and hopefully still see on occasion!

2 comments:

  1. i forgot your blog address so its been awhile to visit the site and i must say the house colors look great by the way! i feel for you right now because i remember that feeling you are having about leaving... homewood is amazing and its going to be such a cherished memory for you and wade. that's where will was born and now cole. its alot to unload. i know you guys made a great decision because you've thought it so clearly and that's the kind of people that you are. we are here for whatever purpose we can serve- new baby or not. i can help with the new house if needed or watching cole. he'd love to hang out i'm sure with the boys so please use me for something. i'll be mad if you don't. our friends in birmingham are quite good but you will always have them because they are so good that they keep in touch and come and visit too. i'm enjoying my weekend with just hutch. it makes me realize how much i adore that little boy when he gets all of me and a happy me for that!!! enjoy your saturday
    lindsay

    ReplyDelete